04 January 2008

hucklebuck


When I first saw Huckabee on Charlie Rose a few years ago, I found him to be -- in comparison to Bush -- articulate, funny, practical (it probably helped that Rose fawned over him, much as he had over Judith Miller...but that's another story). I also thought: "finally, a thinking republican." I had no idea he thought the theory of evolution was bunk or that he would identify himself as a "christian leader." So I think part of his appeal might be that he doesn't shove the "god talk" on people on the order of a Robertson or Falwell. As a partisan of the culture wars, he seems to be throwing water balloons rather than firing missiles.

However, in this election cycle, he's a flash in the pan. The herd of establishment republicans will reassert themselves.

No comments: